[mythtv-users] Redhat 9

Jason Werpy jwwerpy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 18:25:52 UTC 2005

On 8/19/05, Zak <onlydarksets at mahshie.net> wrote:
> Don't laugh, but I tried that earlier this week and ran into issues
> there, too.  The ivtv drivers for FC4 *refuse* to recognize my Hauppauge
> 250s correctly.  It insists they are 150s.  I could live with that if
> they were just misnamed, but worked.  However, I could not get them to
> work.  I searched for an answer, but to no avail.  I tried the 3.x
> drivers, but no dice.
>
> So...FC1 was too old, and FC4 was too new.  I'm hoping the "middle
> bear's" FC3 will fit just right.  If not I will probably have to cry,
> because .16 was working fine for me (I wanted to upgrade for better HDTV
> support, but SD was flawless).
>
> Brad Fuller wrote:
>
> > Zak wrote:
> >
> >> Not a direct answer, but I just tried to upgrade from .16->.18.1 on
> >> FC1 last week, and it didn't work (mythplugins error).  Point being,
> >> even if you were on Fedora, you might still have issues.  I couldn't
> >> find an answer, so I'm installing FC3+.18.1 this week.  That said, I
> >> am doing everything via ATrpms and don't want to build anything
> >> myself.  I might have been able to fix it with a kernel upgrade, but,
> >> frankly, I'm a neophyte at best.
> >

> > why not move on to FC4 now while you got the chance?

I didn't have any problems upgrading my box from Red Hat 9.  But I
created a dual boot setup and started over with Ubuntu.  That way I
could mess with it and night but in the morning the kids would have
the old install there until I made the final switch.  It kept the KAF
high.  You don't need to switch to a debian based distro, I just
wanted to see if debian based distros were as cool as people say.

There are some setup guides for Ubuntu/Debian out there too that are
helpful.  The hardest part was getting lirc to work.