[mythtv-users] PAL-I problem

Steve Wesemeyer swesemeyer at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 19 22:00:26 UTC 2005

On Sunday 07 August 2005 10:14, Steve Wesemeyer wrote:
> Hiya,
<snip>

> I have a Hauppauge Primio WinTV PCI-FM (cx8800) card and it works great
> when watching LiveTV. However, as I live in the UK which uses PAL-I I need
> to manually set "v4lctl setnorm PAL-I" when I first start-up mythfrontend.
> That's no problem when I boot up the machine as I just stuck it into a
> small shell-script in the .kde/Autostart directory.
> So watching TV is no problem. However, I have yet to manage to get a proper
> recording. MythBackend insists on changing the PAL norm back to BG
> and so it starts recording the picture ok but obviously not the sound
> (effectively it just records white noise/static due to the difference in
> audio channels in PAL-I and BG).
<snip>
> Cheers,
>  Steve

I have been told about helpful tip on the v4l mailing list which I just want
to cross-post here in case anyone else has this problem:

This is curtesy of Andrew Wilkinson:
<quote>
I've got my cx88 based card working in TvTime and MythTV, though I did
have to do a nasty hack to make it work...

In cx88-video.c change (it's about line 1,389) from
cx88_set_tvnorm(dev->core,&tvnorms[i]);
cx88_set_tvnorm(dev->core,&tvnorms[4]);

The recompile, install and load the cx8800 and cx88xx modules.

This ignores the tv norm the application is using and forces it to use
PAL_I. Seeing as I doubt I'll ever be using my computer somewhere that
isn't PAL_I this is a reasonable thing to do.

I'm sure there is a better way to do this, but I think it's down to
TvTime and MythTV only letting you set PAL rather than PAL_I, and PAL
seems to default to PAL_BG.
</quote>

Applying this fix appears to fix my PAL-I/PAL-BG problems.

Cheers,
 Steve