[mythtv-users] Celeron OK?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 04:13:50 UTC 2005

On 8/20/05, Anil Gupte <anil-list at icinema.com> wrote:
> I will look ino the Northwoods thing, but it may be too late.  I am going to be
> using a Hauppauge PVR-350, so CPU should not be a problem.
>
> In fact the problem I have is that I cannot find an older P3 or P2 chip or even
> a motherboard to match.  I would much rather build a system with a 1.2 Ghz chip,
> because I am convinced anything more is overkill.  It is interesting how Intel
> kills off the old chips (I am sure they buy back or take back older chips) so as
> not to let it affect the prices of the new chips.
>
> Thanx for the help and advice.

I'd look on eBay if you're after old chips and boards. I've just
checked one of the retailers I use in the UK and they still have FCPGA
boards and chips (P3-1GHz) in stock. The problem with using _old_
technology (>2 generations old) is getting replacements if something
goes wrong, and the fact the newer slower systems may be more
efficient in terms of energy use. If I have old components lying
around that I can use to make a functional machine, I'll use them, but
for a new, long term project like MythTV, I'd try and go new build for
the warranties and fact it'll be a bit easier to get replacement parts
in the future.

Nick