[mythtv-users] Barebone myth tv nodes?

Todd Duffin nospam at tippyturtle.com
Sat Aug 20 08:24:41 UTC 2005

I am running an EPIA M1000 and am very happy with it.  It is an ITX form
factor.  Has everything you are talking about.  VGA, SVideo out, Analog
audio out (and digital out too!), LAN, USB, Firewire, IR, 1000mhz CPU...the
whole deal.  Running standard TV resolutions I am running about 40% CPU at
playback.  Since the CPU does SSE so I think the CPU is greatly relieved of
heavy lifting.  (MMX doesn't help you do video (integer math)...I think
3dnow does since it is a floating point accelerator)

M1000 MB+CPU (glued on) = $150
or I bet you can easily get by with ML800 MB+CPU = $100
512mb DDR = $50
80gig Seagate 2bel HD (if you are lazy like me) = $50
(Sweet very tiny case) Morex Cubid 3688 = $90 (although ITX will go in
FlexATX, MicroATX or ATX case if you don't mind bigger)
Pictures don't do this case justice:
http://www.aone.zen.co.uk/imagesproduct/miniitx/large/csmorcupid3688b.jpg
...Yes it takes a laptop DVD drive (or none)...this thing is tiny.  I am
pretty sure this case gives you 1 full height PCI slot; it has a rise to
turn the card sideways...but don't quote me on that.

When shopping for an EPIA make sure you know what the back panel looks like.
There are a zillion flavors and many don't have SVideo.  (Every one has LAN,
Audio, USB...etc)

This thing runs so will I need to make it my main front end and move my
current backend/frontend to the garage or something.  The Digital Audio +
SVideo are perfect for the tv room with a "real" amp.  I don't think they
would make a great backend unless you have an MPEG2 capture card and
transcode it down later (non-real-time).

Todd