[mythtv-users] Just tuning and displaying video

Stephen Kitchener stephen at g6dzj.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 17:29:41 UTC 2005

Hi List,

While I appriciate that this mailing list is dedicated to mythtv, I feel that
this is the best place to ask knowlageable people. :-)

Anyway, crawling aside, I have a simple question, I have a DVB PCI card in my
PC and I would like just to be able to select a channel on it and display a
program along the lines of a normal TV application. I don't need to be able
to record programs, although program information would be nice...

Does anyone know what or how I should go about this, I did find some
references to dvdtune and dvbscan, but it looks like these progs havn't been
worked upon for some time and I am not sure as to how they would react to a
2.6 kernel. I also found kaffine but I am not sure as to how this will react
to the other TV card that I have in the system, Its a Multimedia video
controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt848 Video Capture (rev 12), but at least
this works.

The PCI card that I have responds to lspci with (amungst others)
00:0b.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)

I beleive that this means that the card is upported, but thats as far as I
have got.

The PC has 1GB of mem and the processor is 2700+, so that should be enough and
I have an nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] card.

Any more info ???

Out of my depth here and would appriciate any help.

Thanks in advance

--
                 O  o
            _\_   o