[mythtv-users] Filesystem: Backend w/ Multiple Tuners & Frontends

Zach.Burlingame zach.burlingame at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 21:06:04 UTC 2005

I am getting ready to do an upgrade on my server to increase the storage
capacity and performance in preparation for adding MythTV backend
capabilities to it. I have been reading up on the pros and cons of each
major journaling filesystem option and saw that MythTV recommends JFS or XFS
(I currently use ReiserFS for everything). My question is:

Which journaling filesystem in your opinion/experience is the best for use
with MythTV (please explain)?

I know there are many variables involved here so I will give some background
information to try and make this decision as clear as possible. I am
considering ReiserFS, XFS, or JFS. The /video partition will more than
likely use LVM and will definitely be running on top of 500GB software
RAID-5 storage (3x 250GB 7200RPM 16MB cache SATA drives). I plan to
initially begin with 2 tuners (non-HDTV) for digital cable but I will
eventually expand that.

Here is some background on what type of hardware/software environment I am
currently looking at:

-------------------------------------
Backend:
-------------------------------------
Linux Distro:     Gentoo Linux(x86, not x86_64 yet)
Processor:        AMD Athlon64 3000+ (Winchester Core)
Mobo:             Asus A8N-E (w/ Nforce4 Ultra chipset, PCI-E, and SATAII)
RAM:              2x 512MB DDR 400 PC-3200 CAS 2.5
Storage:          2x 40GB 7200 RPM 2MB cache ATA133 in RAID-1 (system)
                  3x 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB cache SATA in software RAID-5
(data, video)
Network:          100Mbit switched LAN (eventually move to GE)
Tuners:           2x Hauppauge PVR-150 or 1 x Hauppauge PVR-500
Signal:           For starters, 1 digital cable + 1 basic cable signal.
(Moving to dual digital cable signal)