[mythtv-users] High Quality SDTV output

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Aug 21 20:35:23 UTC 2005

On 08/21/05 15:49, Matt Stocum wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Nick wrote:
>
>> XV support on the PVR350 is coming along well now, and should (and
>> already is I think) to start  to offer very good quality interlaced TV
>> Output. Native MPEG2 ouput, esp from LiveTV and recordings, have
>> excellent quality, easily surpassing my ATI card's output.
>
> The MythTV docs (which do seem to be  rather out of date with regards
> to the PVRx50)  state that frame buffer based output on the PVR350
> puts quite a load on the CPU.  Is this still true, and if so is it
> high enough that I might have trouble running MAME or snes9x?

The MythTV docs specify information regarding the current "stable"
release of IvyTV--version 0.1.9.  All the information they give is
completely correct--framebuffer-based output takes a lot of CPU--but if
you choose to use the "unstable" versions of IvyTV--version
0.2.0-rc3(whatever) or 0.3.6(whatever), you may (should) use the Xv
support that John added.  If you're using Xv support, video on the
PVR-350 is basically as processor-intensive as video on a "real" video
card using Xv support (but takes more processor than using XvMC--which
you should only need for high-def, which the PVR-350 can't do).
However, OpenGL is not (and cannot be) supported on the PVR-350 (since
it has no 3D acceleration in the hardware).

Mike