[mythtv-users] Hauppaugge PVR250 recognized as PVR150

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Aug 21 21:13:31 UTC 2005

On 08/21/05 16:07, Todd Bailey wrote:

> Has anyone ever come up with a fix for this problem?

I'm sure there are several, but the right way is described in ivtv's output:

ivtv: ==================== START INIT IVTV ====================
ivtv: version 0.x.x  loading
ivtv: Linux version: 2.x.x
ivtv: In case of problems please include the debug info
ivtv: between the START INIT IVTV and END INIT IVTV lines when
ivtv: mailing the ivtv-devel mailinglist.

As a matter of fact, your log file probably even says:

ivtv: Defaulting to PVR-150 card
ivtv: Please mail the vendor/device and subsystem vendor/device IDs and
what kind of
ivtv: card you have to the ivtv-devel mailinglist:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ivtv
ivtv: Prefix your subject line with [UNKNOWN CARD].

(so, adding the results of 'lspci -v' would give the developers
everything they need to make your card get recognized)

> I am running a new install, this time FC4 and myth worked the first time.
>
> Unfortunantly,  I had to reboot and now myth doesn't function.
>
> dmsg reports the card as a 150 not a 250.

IvyTV versions 0.1.x and 0.2.x will assume a card is a PVR-250 is the
card isn't recognized.  Since version 0.3.x is primarily concerned with
getting PVR-150 and PVR-500 support added to ivtv, it assumes the card
is a PVR-150.

Since IvyTV made the assumption that a card was a PVR-250 unless it was
recognized before the PVR-150 and PVR-500 were released, pretty much the
only people who reported card details as described were PVR-350 users
(at least until the cardtype option was added, at which point, people
stopped reporting the details).  Therefore, most older PVR-350's and
some newer PVR-350's are recognized, but a great number of PVR-250's are
not (because for some reason people didn't read their log messages, so
they didn't realize they should report them ;).

It's quite likely that IvyTV will make the assumption in the future that
a card is a PVR-150 unless recognized (since most new cards will be
PVR-150's), so it would definitely be good to report yours as
unrecognized...

> a while back someone mentioned setting card options in the
> modprobe.conf file, but didn't detail the edits needed.

While this would work, it doesn't help all those other people who have
cards like you, so getting the driver fixed is probably the better
approach...

Other approaches:
    - Use ivtv 0.2.x (if you have a PVR-150 or PVR-500 in addition to
the PVR-250, this approach may not work).
    - Edit ivtv-cards.c to include the PCI ID of your card
    - Specify the cardtype option to your ivtv module (i.e. add a line
"options ivtv cardtype=x" where "x" is the appropriate value for the
cardtype option as listed by "modinfo ivtv")

However, if you don't post your card's info, think of all the people
whose cards have the same PCI ID as yours who will be asking how to make
their PVR-250 that's "recognized" as a PVR-150 work...  So, to help
answer some of those questions, if you decide not to provide the
requested info to the IvyTV ML, I expect you to answer at least 20
e-mail requests for this information.  So, posting the card info once is
probably easier than providing this information 20 times.  ;)

Thanks,
Mike