[mythtv-users] what cpu is required for hdtv playback

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 03:54:44 UTC 2005

On 8/25/05, Reza Naima <reza at reza.net> wrote:
> can you playback hd quality mpeg2/mpeg4 shows? -r
>
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 06:13:50PM -0400, Donavan Stanley sent me this...
> > On 8/24/05, Reza Naima <reza at reza.net> wrote:
> > > i'm building a system and want to use it as a frontend to play back
> > > (eventually) hdtv content.  I ordered a 533 celeronD 2.6 as a first pass
> > > -- will that be fast enough, or do i need to go pentium4?
> >
> > Thats what I'm using on my main frontend.

I'd consider getting a video card with XVMC support to take some of
the load off the CPU when playing back HDTV. There are current posts
about flaky NVidia XVMC support on 64bit systems, however a regular
AMD64 CPU will handle a HDTV stream without XVMC. I'm not sure how
well 1080i would fare on a CeleronD with no XVMC.

Nick