[mythtv-users] Confusion about transcoding, Nuvexport / ffmpeg / mythtranscode

Matt Mousseau matt at amsvans.com
Thu Aug 25 12:09:48 UTC 2005

What exactly happens when I tell myth to "transcode" a recording from
the Watch Recordings screen? Previously to re-encode files I have used
nuvexport, which I know is just a perl script that pulls information
about all your recordings from the database, checks dependencies, and
asks you how you want to re-encode specific files, then launches ffmpeg.
I'd like to utilize the built-in transcoder, but I'm curious how it
compares in speed to the nuvexport/ffmpeg combo.

Of course, I could have the complete wrong idea about how that operates,
soooo...can anybody give me some idea what happens when I hit that
little "X" key on my keyboard?

Matthew Mousseau
AMSVans, Inc. Webmaster
matt at amsvans.com