[mythtv-users] Very nasty system state

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Fri Aug 26 06:09:04 UTC 2005

shadestalker at gmail.com wrote:

>I'd install smartmontools if it's not already and see what smartctl
>says.  Get a baseline now and keep track of anything that changes for
>the worse.

I just tried smartmontools. I've looking for something good to monitor
my HDs for a while (I had major problems with XFS on my new 250 GB drive
as well - and I've gone back to ext3 for now)).  Unfortunately
smartmontools can't talk to SATA yet.  It reports...

smartctl -a /dev/sda
smartctl version 5.33 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Device: ATA      ST380817AS       Version: 3.42

SATA disks accessed via libata are not currently supported by
smartmontools. When libata is given an ATA pass-thru ioctl() then an
additional '-d libata' device type will be added to smartmontools.

So, any alternatives?