Re: [mythtv-users] Problems with Via C3 compile? (Was: mythplugin: Ungültiger Maschinenbefehl (unknown machine command?))

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Aug 26 19:13:29 UTC 2005

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:24:01 +0100, Allan Stirling wrote:
>>>Your Via C3 is not PPro compatible, and needs to be compiled for
>>>specifically.
>>>Change -march=pentiumpro to -march=i586 in settings.pro - However, this
>>>*should* be automatic with any recent version of Myth which is compiled
>>>from scratch - Unless your packager has fiddled.
>> i use version 0.18.1. for mythtv i set it manual in the debian/rules, but the
>> configure script for mythplugin (0.18.1 too) has no -march (why i586 and not
>> i686 or c3) option and i don't know where to set it in the setting.pro:
>
>>     QMAKE_CXXFLAGS_RELEASE = -O3 -march=pentiumpro -fomit-frame-pointer
>
>i586. _not_ i686. The C3 doesn't have some instructions from the ppro,
>as far as I know. However, I don't have this hardware so could be
>completely wrong. Anyone else want to chime in here?

Check out the new Kernel howto section, reachable from bottom left, front
page of epialinux.org. Depending upon the actual revision level of the Via
chip, it will appear to be one thing to the compiler while not actually
having the capability. So you have to, in effect, tell the compiler that
it is an 'i586' instead of the 'i686' which it thinks it is.

The latest SP boards (and likely the MII boards) are actually 686, while
others before that are actually '586.
Lots more info in that Howto.

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638