[mythtv-users] Excessive log messages from bt878 driver using Nebula card

Justin Hornsby justin.hornsby2 at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 26 21:01:56 UTC 2005

John Winters wrote:
> I'm using a Nebula DVB-T card with the bt878 driver and kernel 2.6.8.
> When MythTV is recording, the bt878 driver seems to generate several
> hundred log messages per second, like this:
>
> Aug 26 17:04:39 bluebox kernel: bt878(0): irq FDSR risc_pc=1eb84210
> Aug 26 17:04:39 bluebox last message repeated 523 times
> Aug 26 17:04:39 bluebox kernel: bt878(0): irq FDSR risc_pc=1eb84010
>
> Note - all that in less than a second.
>
> Looking at the code for the bt878 driver it appears that turning off
> "bt878_verbose" might reduce this, but is it normal?  It seems odd to
> want to produce quite so many log messages.

<snip!>

I've seen something similar with my DVB-T card - it was then that I
realised that I'd not compiled IDE DMA support into the kernel.  The
DVB-T card is probably not getting a response to its interrupt quickly
enough because the system isn't running quite as it should.

Hope this helps some.

Justin.