[mythtv-users] iNeed!!!

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 28 01:49:12 UTC 2005

<snip>

> I'd like to see quality cases with well thought-out
> thermal zoning and
> heatsinking, dimmed LEDs, suitably located storage
> bays, and including
> the small extras that show the manufacturer is going
> the extra mile.
>
> Nick

I agree, but it's pretty difficult to find anything
like that, without paying an arm and a leg.  Then
again, my plan for running a RAID-5 inside that
SilverStone LC-10 was ill-advised anyway.  :)  (I have
a SCSI drive tower that is in shipment, which I can
put a VIA EPIA in for that.  Combine that with
spinning down the drives, and I have a good solution
for my RAID-5 array.)

I think the biggest problem with HTPC cases is that in
order to get a really good PVR in a small form-factor.
 For my purposes, that means at least two tuners (I
currently have a PVR-250 and PVR-500 for a total of
three), excellent TV-Out (I use an nVidia 5200 for
that), good sound (most onboard sound sucks), and a
powerful CPU (I have an Athlon64 3200+) for doing
non-video related things (i.e. MAME)  I tried fitting
that in with the aforementioned EPIA board, and I
found that it wasn't powerful enough for the MAME
games I play.

Good luck fitting all of that into an mATX box, and
ATX is a bit large for the home entertainment center.

-- Joe