[mythtv-users] MythMusic slow start up

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Aug 28 16:40:02 UTC 2005

Peter Osterberg wrote:

> I've about 15.000 - 20.000 titles in my music database, i guess thats
> the reason,  which results in a 10-20 second startup time whenever I
> want to start MythMusic. I find this extremely annoying, my xbox which
> run Xbmc doesn't do like this; 0.000001 second startup time there. ;o)
>
> Well I guess that MythMusic digs thru all entries in the database
> before it continues. Is there a way to stop it from doing like this? I
> guess that it might needed depending on how you want to browse your
> titles but I want to browse them exatly as I have them organized in my
> file tree so I dont really see why MythMusic would need to do this, if
> that is what happens.
>
> I think this is so bad that I almost don't want to use it to listen to
> music, or even worse consider using something else than MythTV for my
> media box.

IIRC, unchecking

List as Shuffled
List songs on the playback screen in the order they will be played.

will prevent this delay.  I can't test it, though, since I only have
like 100 songs from my 10 CD's in my library, so I don't see a delay
with it set...

You might also get better performance with "Random" shuffle (for "Play
mode") than with "Intelligent" shuffle.  I'd try first with Intelligent,
then change it if it's still too slow.

Mike