[mythtv-users] Using MythMusic

Timothy McFadden mcfadden.timothy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 23:11:43 UTC 2005

On 8/21/05, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> 3) Is there an easy way to set up playlists by genres? I'd like it to
> just play all the music it can find in a certain genre that I would
> pick to match my mood.
>
> Regards,
> Phill

I had the same problem recently.  I moved all of my music around into
genre's that I created ( e.g. /music/Hard Rock/Rammstein/ ).  I then
set Myth to sort by directory, which expects
/Genre/Artist/Album/Track.mp3.

The problem I found it how to categorize the music.  I certainly can't
use the standard MP3 tags because there's just too many.  And
really... what's the difference between alt-folk, folk, and folk-rock?

You *can* create playlists, but they're a bit of a pain to get into
the database and use.  I'm thinking of using symbolic links in a fake
genre directory.  I don't see why this wouldn't work, but I haven't
tried it.

That would make it easy to change playlists without dealing with the
DB.  Then again, I'm not sure how the DB handles updates to the same
directory.

-Tim