[mythtv-users] Hardware Recommandation

Garry Cook garrycook at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 17:29:52 UTC 2005

On 8/29/05, Joachim Schwarzhorn <schwarzhorn at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I´m new to this mailing list. I´ve been reading a few days and also
> tried to find some information otherwise. I want to build a mediacenter
> in near future.
>
> I want to record TV-shows or films and perhaps radio shows. (Film
> Editing probably will be done on another machine).
> Live TV is not necessary, playback of DVDs is not a must but a nice feature.
> The system will be a relacement for a VHS-Recorder and I hope it will be
> very silent and energy saving.
>
> I was thinking about the following hardware for MythTV:
>
> Motherboard Via Epia SP8000 (fanless and with TV-out on board including
> MPEG2 decoder)
> Hauppaugge PVR 350 or PVR500
> Harddisk Samsung about 200GB 5400rpm
> Network Connection to Main machine
>
> Is anyone using such or a similiar system. Is this system powerful
> enough or am I totally wrong.
>
> Any help appriciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Joachim

I don't know much about the Epia systems, although I have seen lots of
discussion on this list, so you may want to check the archives. With
that said, if your system will have onboard TV out with a decoder,
then it seems like you would not need a PVR350. The PVR500 will give
you two tuners and is reasonably well supported at this time.
--g