[mythtv-users] Converting to MPEG and/or buring to DVD - a guide?

Jens Baumeister jens.baumeister at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 23:33:22 UTC 2005

Hi!

On 8/30/05, David Bennett <davidbennett1979 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am familliar with mythburn but was not sure what stage its at yet.
> Also, I am presuming it burns straight to DVD?
>
> (or does it convert NUV -> MPG and then burn to DVD?)

A NUV file can be many things some cards (the Hauppauge PVR-series as
well as any kind of DVB card) produce NUV-files that already are in
MPEG2 format but not quite ready to burn onto a DVD. Mythburn changes
these files (without reencoding them) to make them DVD-compliant.

> At any rate, no one else has any guides/scripts/websites suggestions
> on how to (1) burn dvd's from your nuv, or (2) convert to mpeg?

What kind of card do you have?

If you've got a DVB-card or any of the Hauppauge PVR-cards, mythburn
is by far the simplest solution. You've got to install a few tools
before the script will work, but you'd have to install those if you
were doing it all from the commandline, as well - adding mythburn is
just a matter of extracting one more archive and running a setup shell
script - after that you have a nice web frontend that's easier to use
than the command line and gives you nice DVD menus, too. :-)

If your card doesn't produce MPEG2-files, I'm not sure whether there's
a a solution out there, since I don't have such a card.

> Does anyone know if this will eventually be a natively option directly
> from mythtv?

Another mail today mentioned that a future version of mythtranscode
will handle MPEG2-re-packaging, so one of these days there'll probably
be a "Burn DVD" option in the frontend at least for the cards outlined
above. I don't think anything like that's in SVN or planned for thext
relase, though.

Besides, with its integration into mythweb, mythburn is
"almost-native" :-) Give it a try if your card is supported. I did and
- as you can probably tell - I was impressed.

Jens