[mythtv-users] Samba mount RW

Tyler Edwards nugen101 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 30 15:03:21 UTC 2005

I have a master backend where all of the video resides in the computer room.
I also have a slave backend located in the TV room. I can watch recorded
shows with no problem on the slave backend but every time that tuner is
called on to record a show I get permission errors and the backed crashes.
I've read that only the root user can access a samba mount as RW unless you
stipulate the user or group in the mount command. I've don't this but still
get permission errors. When I look at the properties for the mount as the
mythtv user it is read only, which would explain why I can watch but not
record. If I try and change the permission settings I get a warning saying
that you can't change permission on that type of device. What should the
mount line look like in the fstab for samba to mount RW for the mythtv user?
Should I be using NFS instead? If so, how do you do that. I've tried to read
the how to but am greatly confused. Any thoughts?

Tyler