[mythtv-users] guide updates (zap2it)

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Tue Aug 30 17:52:51 UTC 2005

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Ali Asad Lotia wrote:
>
>> If you use a cron job, then you can have it run
>> mythfilldatabase --refresh-today --refresh-second multiple times a day
>> to get any last minute changes made to zap2it.
>> I'm new to this group, so I don't know if the zap2it data service
>> frowns upon people downloading scheduling data more than once a day,
>> but that would be one way around getting incorrect programs recorded
>> if zap2it has updated the schedule.
>>

> It's definitely not ideal.  As TMS is providing a free service for us
> (and has no obligation to do so), we should do all we can to make
> things easy for them (= likely to continue to be free for us).
>
> When we first started using DataDirect, TMS asked that we include a
> means of allowing people to download at different times.  Most people
> were downloading in the middle of the night, and since it's a North
> America only data source, that meant that their servers were getting
> hammered overnight.
>
> The current recommendation is to use the MythTV internal DataDirect
> support to download no more than once per day and to choose a "random"
> time, for example by using the day of your birthday mod 24 as the hour
> for the start time of your download range--i.e. for a birthday on the
> 16th of some month, use 16:00 (4:00pm) or for a birthday on the 31st,
> use 7:00am (31/24 = 1 with a remainder of 7)).  Then set the stop time
> to be a few hours later.  Myth will use a walking pattern to download
> sometime within that time range every day.
>
> See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/72785#72785
> (read the full thread to get the current recommendation).
>
> Mike

Sounds to me that they need to also have a separate feed for programming
changes.  This should be a much smaller feed and wouldn't be bad if it
were requested hourly.  Sort of like an RSS feed.  Those things get
"hammered" but they are light.

--

	Thank you for your time,
	--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.