[mythtv-users] Re: Front end choice: Mac Mini versus VIA EPIA. Mac OS X remote control?

Brad mythtv at braddolman.com
Wed Aug 31 09:30:25 UTC 2005

I don't have a Mac Mini, but have also considered getting one to use
as a front-end. I agree that they seem to be cheaper than comparably
equipped PCs, and considerably nicer. As for being quiet, they
definitely are that. There seems to be some people that are reporting
loud fans in some situations, but when I tried doing a few things
with one I couldn't even tell there was a fan. I do think that the
DVD drive may be pretty noisy though. Although, I currently have a
Pundit frontend with a DVD and I don't think it could be louder than
that... and even its bareable.

As for remotes, there are several available - just Google and you'll
turn up a bunch. I've been using my Powerbook as an occasional front-
end and use Salling Clicker so that I can control it from my
bluetooth phone. I also wrote a very basic action suite for Clicker
that gives you basic control of MythTV, its available here (http://
homepage.mac.com/bdolman/FileSharing1.html) if you want to check it out.