[mythtv-users] Front end choice: Mac Mini versus VIA EPIA. Mac OS X remote control?

Adam Bodnar ambodnar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:40:42 UTC 2005

I have a mac mini and will be using it as a frontend. It's pretty damn
quiet, course I have other computers in my room making noise so at
least it's never gotten louder than that.

As for remote control of it, I've gone a little more expensive side
but that was cause I've wanted some more customization. I bought a IR
receiver made by a guy in Germany, it is called IRTrans. More
expensive, but I knew it would work with the Pronto remote I am
wanting to use. The only slight downside to it is that you have to
write AppleScripts to do anything, but that's very minor.

The Keyspan usb IR receiver can actually be programmed to work with
other remotes, just have to teach your remote to be a JVC vcr I think
it was. I found this in their documentation.

The only downside to using the Mac as a frontend is that MythMusic
doesn't currently work under it if I remember correctly from previous
messages on this list. Not a huge concern for me at the moment.