[mythtv-users] S-Video capture card choices?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 31 16:25:51 UTC 2005

Blake wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:16:02 -0700, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> I've got an ATI Remote Wonder.  I like the RF, but am still working on
>> improving range/sensititivy (especially through walls).
>
> Oh...you've got a remote that came with a card?

Yeah.  You can buy them separately, but I wouldn't recommend it.  (IMHO,
it's not worth $40-$50 for a remote.)

> For audio I've got a SB Audigy Platinum with breakout box for this
> machine. Which, now that I look at it has both an IR receiver and a
> firewire port. Which, right now, just confuses me.<s> I figured just
> to  hook up the, uh, traditional A/V cables along with the S-video
> for  starters. (It would be cool at some point to be able to hook up
> my VCR to  the box, just long enough to rip some VHSes that are
> rotting in the  garage....)

Yeah.  I had that plan once, then I noticed how ugly the VHS videos look
compared to broadcast recordings, so I only recorded off one tape as a
test.  Fortunately, I only have about 6 tapes, so it's not that big a
deal to just let them rot...  Thought about buying DVD's, but now, I'm
even starting to think my collection of Stargate SG-1 DVD's is "old
tech" because it's not high-def.

>> Yep.  That's what I do.  Believe me, it was liberating to finally remove
>> the batteries from my 5 remote controls!
>
> I'm salivating at the thought.

:)

>> The only thing I can't control with the remote is the TV.  I have my
>> Myth box in a different room (the ultimate in silent PC) with a hole
>> through the wall for video and speaker cables.  Since I'm using an A/V
>> receiver for audio, I control volume through it.  So, I simply hit the
>> power button on the TV before sitting down for some Myth.  Thought about
>> trying to mod the transmitter circuit to allow for another IR LED on a
>> cable without over-driving the serial port, but I'd have the IR LED
>> drawing power and the cable's resistance, so I decided it was easier to
>> just hit the power button.  (Can't even do a separate simple transmitter
>> because I only have one serial port.)
>
> Is that a common problem?

It's only a problem because my IR blaster is in a different room from my
TV.  If I kept my Myth box, my 2 Dish receivers, my A/V receiver, my
VCR, my TV, and my speakers in the same room, I could control them all
with the IR blaster, but I choose aesthetics over being able to turn on
the TV and put everything but the TV and speakers in a different room.
Much quieter than any "silent" PC and much prettier than even the most
beautiful (and expensive) PC case.

Mike