[mythtv-users] Re:Front end choice: Mac Mini versus VIA EPIA. Mac OSX remote control?

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 16:50:33 UTC 2005

I have a Mac Mini, and I think it's great.   The form factor is
unbeatable, and I don't think I could make a Mini-ITX box for near the
same price.   I use mine for all the Apple Apps (iTunes, iMovie, iDVD,
etc.) and general Unix functions.   But, not for MythTV.

I use MythTV for HD material, which makes the Mini a no-go.   The
1.42GHz CPU in mine is not fast enough to decode/display HDTV
material.    The mini's ATI Radeon video hardware does have support
for MPEG2 acceleration, unfortunately Apple has chosen not to open an
API into this functionality.   So, HD is out of reach for the Mini.