[mythtv-users] PVR-150 best quality settings?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Dec 2 16:03:17 EST 2005

Steve Adeff wrote:

>I got my firewire card and my am finaly able to watch my cablebox through my
>PVR-150. So now I want to set the quality settings for the card. If I
>understand correctly I'm to go into 'Recording Profiles' choose 'MPEG-2
>Encoders (PVR-x50, PVR-500)' and change the settings for the different
>profiles.
>
>So I see from the card specs that it can do 720x480 max in NTSC, so I set
>that.
>From my readings of the list Stream Type should be MPEG2-TS?
>
>What about bitrate? I've got plenty of harddrive

I didn't think that was possible.   ;)

> so I'd like to set the
>highest bitrate values that will get properly used.
>
>Any other help for getting the best recording quality would be appreciated!

You almost definitely won't see any benefit above 6000kbps (you'll hit
the limit of the electronics before the limit of the bitrate), but
probably won't see much (if any) benefit above 4500kbps.  Make sure you
leave good headroom in the max, also (at least 1/3 more than average
bitrate, i.e. 6000/8000 or 4500/6000).  I've been using 2200 as average
and the quality was good (not great) on my 27" NTSC TV, but it's
definitely not that^H^H^H^Hat all good on my 67" 1080p TV...  ;)

4500kbps will probably give you about 2-2.25GiB/hr, and 6000kpbs will
probably give you about 2.6-3Gib/hr including audio

Mike