[mythtv-users] Alternative to Mythmusic?

Aaron hansolo77.geo at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 3 00:04:00 EST 2005

coquet at gmail.com wrote:

> My music collection is very dynamic and often the songs I have don't
> have ID3 tags.  Because of this I find Mythmusic less than convenient
> to use and basically I've stopped using it.
>
> Is there a way to just point Mythmusic at a directory and just get it
> to browse the filesystem?   I have Mythvideo setup this way and it's
> way more covenient than having to update the database everytime I add
> something to my file server.
>
> Does anyone use something other than Mythmusic to play music with
> their Myth machine?

If ID3 tags are the only thing keeping you from using Mythmusic, I'd
recommend checking out http://musicbrainz.org/.  It's an online
database, like CDDB, that scans your files for embedded ID signatures,
and compares them with other's matching that signature from it's
database.  The site is always updated with new submissions.  It's very
quick and easy to grab ID3 tags from there to make your files complete.
I don't know of any Linux versions of their original program
(MusicBrainz Tagger), but their new program, Picard Tagger works with
Linux.  I've yet to try it, but have read some good reviews about it.
Personally, I'm not using Mythmusic or even MythTV at this point because
I'm waiting for Christmas to get my hardware together.  But like I said,
if ID3 tags are all you're missing, this is a great way to get them.