[mythtv-users] Uncool surprise... coming back from vacation, shows not recorded.

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 09:22:22 EST 2005

> P.S.  Is there an easy tool of producing a series of thumbnails of
> every scene change from a section of video?  (Or perhaps just a single
> frame from every n minutes, regardless of scenes.)  That would be
> handy no matter what, to quickly notice that the middle of something
> got trashed, or to make it possible to notice that, e.g., PBS decided
> to show an hour of Exciting Legislators Voting and Debating instead of
> whatever they originally scheduled, which also happens quite a bit
> here... :)  The idea is to have something so low-bandwidth that it
> could be quickly checked at the other end of some network link far
> from home, allowing manual rescheduling via mythweb...

You can use mplayer for this. I needed to play around with the -ss and
-frames options, and to generate more images than I needed to get a
reliable number of images per minute, but basically all you need is:

mplayer -vo png -ss N

You can use '-identify' to find out how long the recording is and then
iterate through it.

Regards,

Chris