[mythtv-users] Re: Strange MythBackend troubles

Josh Tallen jrtallen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 23:47:07 EST 2005

On 12/6/05, Druid <mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 16:49 -0500, Mike Frisch wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 11:26:44PM -0800, Jeff Clemens wrote:
> > >    So occasionally, my master backend gets into a strange state.   I
> have a
> > >    frontend and a backend running on each of 2 boxes.  The master
> backend
> > >    occasionally gets into a state where the frontend will report that
> the
> > >    backend is down when trying some things (like deleting a recording
> for
> > >    instance), but other menu items that use the backend work
> fine.  When it's
> > >    in this state, neither frontend works correctly.
> > >    /sbin/service mythbackend restart fixes the problem temporarily.
> >
> > I cannot offer much other than to say the same thing happens regularly
> > to me.  I cannot predict when it will happen but it happens somewhat
> > frequently.  It is as if the frontend loses track of the backend.
>
> I think this is what has happened to me on a few occasions, the backend
> has stopped recording, the status page works still works but the
> frontend won't play but lists all the shows etc.

I think I am experiencing a similar problem.  Occaisionally a program will
stop recording partway through.  It's not always obvious that this has
happened, because the frontend appears to work fine.  I can still watch
recorded programs, including the one that failed, up to the point where it
stopped.  Everything appears to work, but it will not attempt to record any
other programs.  What really sends it into a tailspin is trying to delete a
program after this has happened.  The frontend completely freezes and must
be killed along with a restart of the backend to get things back to normal.
This problem started about two months ago, but I haven't changed anything
that I can think of since I installed 0.18.1 (other than the possible
upgrade of the ivtv drivers).  Nothing seems to be logged about this in any
log that I can find, and I'm completely stumped.
--Josh