[mythtv-users] LIRC not working within Myth

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 12:28:54 EST 2005

On 07/12/05, John DiLorenzo <jdilorenzo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, no luck.
>
>  I'm going to try to rebuild mythtv from the tarball and see what I get.
>
>  FYI, the LIRCD service is DOA before I use it, it seems to need the
> modprobe lirc_i2c before it will do anything.
>
>  lircrc and lircd.conf files look good.  I removed all the lircrc files but
> /etc/.lircrc   I may put them back after rebuilding.
>
>  Oh well, tomorrow's project....

One big reason for LIRC failing at startup (which I've experienced
before) is that the device it is trying to use (specified in the LIRC
daemon file) may not be present. The names of LIRC devices is
controlled by udev when loading the LIRC drivers - sometimes /dev/lirc
is created and sometimes /dev/lirc0 depending on the udev rule being
used. When you have loaded the lirc_dev and lirc_i2c drivers, check
your /dev directory to see which LIRC devices have been created. Then
check the LIRC startup file and make sure the correct device is being
used. Also check the user and file permissions for the devices and
make sure they are accessible.

Nick