[mythtv-users] lightweight TV user-interface

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 18:23:08 EST 2005

On 12/7/05, Jason Baker <baker29 at cs.purdue.edu> wrote:
> I'm not interested in DVR features so much as I am playing normal
> "computer" content (avi movies, mp3s, mp3 and realaudio radio
> webcasts, and realvideo TV webcasts).

That's what you think *NOW*...

> MythTV looks like a very slick system (the program guide and MythVideo
> library look especially appealing), but it also looks very hard to
> customize.

Depends what you consider customizing. menu entries can be configured
in dotfiles if you want, There are themes for old and new menu
configs. There are multiple themes for MythTV and OSD displays

... and Myxer makes it really easy to customize the look of MythTV
http://lisadaveh.home.comcast.net/myxer/

> if I want to tweak the interface to the music and movie libraries, I
> need to do it in C++.

You should check out the different options for the default layouts for
the MythVideo first.

> It seems to me that a user-interface based on php and javascript might
> be a lot easier to hack, and could work at least as well as MythTV.

See mythweb

> My question for the list is two-fold.  First, is my impression of
> MythTV wrong?

If you think that mythtv isn't customizable enough, then you're wrong.
If you think that full access to all of the source code doesn't give
you enough to hack with, then... I don't know what to tell you. What
exactly do you want to hack?