[mythtv-users] Re: pvr-150 image looks "soft"

Paul Andreassen paulx at andreassen.com.au
Thu Dec 8 01:26:33 EST 2005

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 11:58 am, Mike Frisch wrote:
> On 7-Dec-05, at 7:13 PM, Steve Hodge wrote:
> > On 12/8/05, Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> like a smoothing filter is being used. it looks just a tad softer
> >> than the
> >> source. I also notice that during scenes with movement it looks as
> >> though the
> >> frame rate was dropping by 5-10.
> >>
> >> so are there any "secret" settings I can look for or anything?
> >
> > A friend of mine had some success using the nvidia-settings sharpness
> > adjustment. So if you've got a nVidia card that might be worth a try.
>
> What if I'm using an ATI card?  :)
>
> I also mentioned the softness of the picture with the PVR-250.  I
> turned off the DNR which seems to have made a noticeable improvement
> in picture quality but did nothing for the sharpness.  There are some
> MPEG-2 tuning parameters left but I am unsure what they do.
>
> Mike.

Have you tried increasing the bitrate?  Go nuts and see if it makes a
difference.  I use 6400/8000 which is much better than the analog signal out
of a digital satellite set top box.

Use 720x576 and Stream Type: 'DVD-Special 2' in case you ever what to put it
on a dvd.

On every boot do a 'ivtvctl -c dnr_temporal=0' to turn off temporal filtering.

One other thing I did was turn up the contrast and colour by 5%.  While using
Live TV on the PVR-x50, press 'g' for the recording controls.

Paul