[mythtv-users] Re: pvr-150 image looks "soft"

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 09:48:01 EST 2005

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 22:37, Mike Frisch wrote:
> On 7-Dec-05, at 9:46 PM, Dave Packham wrote:
> > How do you turn off DNR on the 250's?
>
> from ivtv-0.4.0/doc/video-quality.txt:
>
> --- cut here ---
>
> dnr_mode:
>          0:  spatial and temporal noise removal filters
>          1:  temporal only
>          2:  spatial only
>          3:  no noise filter
>
> dnr_spatial:
>          0..16:  0=no filtering  16=strongest filter
>                (horizontal only, smoothing/lowpass)
> dnr_temporal:
>          0..16:  0=no filtering  16=strongest filter
>                (inter-frame (time dimension), averaging)
>
> --- cut here ---
>
> so...
>
> $ ivtvctl -c dnr_mode=3
> $ ivtvctl -c dnr_spatial=0
> $ ivtvctl -c dnr_temporal=0
>
> The MPEG-2 settings I am curious about are:
>
> framespergop
> gop_closure
> bframes

Cool, my temporal was 8 and mode was 0. Are these changes immediate? will I
notice them watching live tv and then changing the value or does the card
need to be "reset"?

I'm going to play around with these settings and see what happens. thanks!

oh, I only know these in terms with how mpeg compression works. exact specific
changes for ivtv i dunno...
framespergop will be how many frames are placed in a GOP group. this only
really affects compression, quality shouldn't change.
gop_closure will be if the GOP is closed or open, same basic change as above.
bframes - don't really know what this will change, but won't make much of a
difference in quality.

--
Steve