[mythtv-users] STAY AWAY FROM WI-FI !!!

Franco mythtv at email.it
Thu Dec 8 10:26:24 EST 2005

Hello,

just wanted to tell everybody that now I have a working
network at home so I can start experimenting with
multiple frontend/backend configuration.

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM WI-FI.

Even though I had read a message of another user who was warning about
terrible and useless struggling with it - I had to try it the same
as I couldn't lay additional cables in my home.
I just have to confirm that I have uselessly spent lot of
time, money and blood and sleepless nights for more than one year
without getting an usable network.

At the end a friend suggested me the "devolo" adapter
http://www.devolo.com/co_EN/produkte/dlan/mldlanhsethernet.html
and it magically gave me a working WIRED network based on the existing
electricity cables.

Even though the claimed 85 Mbps are not met, I now have an honest
WIRED network with a reliable, constant, robust actual 10+ Mbps throughput
allowing me to to all I need.

The 811.g wi-fi claimed 54 Mbps but actually resulted
in less than 1 Mbps (in the best case) and was not reliable
at all... the link was up for 5 seconds and then down for 30 seconds,
when I was lucky!

Hope this will save some people from the terrible pain that me,
and others, have experimented.

Franco