[mythtv-users] STAY AWAY FROM WI-FI !!!

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 10:48:29 EST 2005

On 12/8/05, Franco <mythtv at email.it> wrote:

> PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM WI-FI.

[snip]

> The 811.g wi-fi claimed 54 Mbps but actually resulted
> in less than 1 Mbps (in the best case) and was not reliable
> at all... the link was up for 5 seconds and then down for 30 seconds,
> when I was lucky!

I have an 802.11g wireless network at home, and it works perfectly.
The 54Mb/s is actually about 30Mb/s by the time the two ends have
properly encrypted and decrypted the data-stream, but mythfrontend
works very nicely on my amd64 laptop, connected remotely to my Athlon
XP backend when it is about 50 metres and 2 brick walls away...

The issue with wireless is not a Myth issue, or even an O/S issue most
of the time, but a basic interoperability issue between different
manufacturers.

In my experience, Toshiba laptops are terribly difficult to get
working with wireless (but are fine once sorted out), Compaq and IBM
kit generally works first time in my experience. I have recently found
that cheap 3Com office-connect base-stations are brilliant, and that
the Netgear basestations are good until you discover that 3Com is
actually much better :) D-Link kit is cheap, and you get exactly what
you pay for.

If you have performance issues, you probably have either very thick
walls, lots of metal around, or are trying to share bandwidth with a
DECT phone or similar!

YMMV. Just my 2p
:)
Steve