[mythtv-users] STAY AWAY FROM WI-FI !!!

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Thu Dec 8 10:49:19 EST 2005

On Dec 8, 2005, at 09.26, Franco wrote:

> Hello,
>
> just wanted to tell everybody that now I have a working
> network at home so I can start experimenting with
> multiple frontend/backend configuration.
>
> PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM WI-FI.
>
> Even though I had read a message of another user who was warning about
> terrible and useless struggling with it - I had to try it the same
> as I couldn't lay additional cables in my home.
> I just have to confirm that I have uselessly spent lot of
> time, money and blood and sleepless nights for more than one year
> without getting an usable network.
>
> At the end a friend suggested me the "devolo" adapter
> http://www.devolo.com/co_EN/produkte/dlan/mldlanhsethernet.html
> and it magically gave me a working WIRED network based on the existing
> electricity cables.
>
> Even though the claimed 85 Mbps are not met, I now have an honest
> WIRED network with a reliable, constant, robust actual 10+ Mbps
> throughput
> allowing me to to all I need.
Are you saying that you were just unable to get enough throughput on
you WiFi card?

> The 811.g wi-fi claimed 54 Mbps but actually resulted
> in less than 1 Mbps (in the best case) and was not reliable
> at all... the link was up for 5 seconds and then down for 30 seconds,
> when I was lucky!
Or were you just unable to maintain a reliable signal?

> Hope this will save some people from the terrible pain that me,
> and others, have experimented.
Well, unfortunately for me, I may have to try this. Yes, there are
big red warning signs everywhere, but I live in an old house (1901)
and I don't think the other residents (my family) would appreciate me
putting holes in to walls, or stringing cable everywhere.

But I suppose I'll look into that electical networking stuff. My only
concern is the cost. I already have a USB WiFi dongle and a WiFi
network established, but thanks for the advice, and an alternative
(something few have been able to offer!).