[mythtv-users] lightweight TV user-interface

Jason Baker baker29 at cs.purdue.edu
Thu Dec 8 15:21:44 EST 2005

Dewey Smolka <dsmolka at gmail.com> writes:

> > My question for the list is two-fold.  First, is my impression of
> > MythTV wrong?  And second, what other programs are out there that work
> > well with TVs and remote controls?
>
> What do you want your machine to do?

Play .avi, .mp3, and streaming web content.  And maybe boot to windows
to play video games.  (I haven't played video games on my desktop
computer since it started routing traffic for my neighbors 3 years
ago.)  It would also be nice to eliminate my standalone dvd and cd
players, which I almost never use anyway.

> How much time and money are you willing to spend on the project?

Very little.  My current plan is to put a PII-450 on my desk and move
my athlon 1400+ to the living room.  I'm also thinking of upgrading
the CPU to 2800+ (the fastest chip that supports 266MHz FSB).

Given all that, what other programs are out there that work well with
TVs and remote controls?

Jason