[mythtv-users] Myth/Debian distribution

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 10:47:26 EST 2005

On Friday 09 December 2005 06:18, Mike Robinson wrote:
> Steve Adeff wrote:
> > On Thursday 08 December 2005 20:53, Mike Robinson wrote:
> >>I was considering using Debian (or Ubuntu) for my new Myth box, but then
> >>I saw that the distribution isn't being supported anymore:
> >>
> >>http://dijkstra.csh.rit.edu/~mdz/debian/dists/unstable/mythtv/README
> >>
> >>Does this mean that I'm SOL for Myth on a Debian distribution?  Would it
> >>be much more difficult to use the source straight from the MythTv.org
> >>site?  All of the guides I've found for Myth/Debian use the above
> >>distribution.
> >>
> >>Thanks for the advice.
> >>
> >>-Mike
> >
> > Build from source. its easy once you have the required deb's installed.
> > I've got Myth running on all three of my Debian systems.
> >
> > I'd also suggest against Ubuntu, stick with real Debian. Kanotix is a
> > good Live! distro that can be easily HD installed, or KnopMyth is good as
> > well and has a great forum for support and is specific for running
> > MythTV.
>
> Why do you recommend agains Ubuntu?  I was actually going to attempt it
> tonight...now I'm concerned!
>
> Another factor to throw into the mix, my system has an AMD64.  Does that
> change things if I want to run an AMD64 distribution?

coming from a real Debian distro, I tried it out as an option for my parents
and to "recommend" to friends. I figured a user-friendly distro with debian
base! but it requires Ubuntu specific sources, so you can't use regular
debian stuff. I also didn't find it all that clean at the time (as far as
handling things like my iPod, etc). This was a year ago, so things have
probably changed since then.

I'd also recommend looking at Kubuntu instead, its KDE based which would make
it better for MythTV, and IMNSHO better overall since I think KDE is years
ahead of Gnome...

--
Steve