[mythtv-users] STAY AWAY FROM WI-FI !!!

Franco mythtv at email.it
Fri Dec 9 15:17:58 EST 2005

> Do you by chance have plaster walls and ceilings?  If so, there is
> probably a metal mesh embedded in the plaster

I'm not sure about the exact translation (I'm not a native English speaker)
but yes, my ceilings and some walls are made by a metal mesh embedded
in concrete

> That metal mesh works as a pretty darned efficient
> farraday sheild, which means you'll only get decent signals in the same
> room, and in a line of sight from the door, and nowhere else.

That's exactly what happens

> it is probably your house to blame, and not WiFi.
> So maybe you should change the subject to "STAY AWAY FROM OLD HOUSES
> WITH PLASTER WALLS AND CEILINGS!".

Uhmmm... yes, you are probably right but in practice, who will move to
another house just to setup a mythbox? Also, in some countries
like here, most of the buildings, if not all, are made like that,
including new ones.

So I apologize again for the wrong all caps subject but as a matter of fact,
wether the guilt is to be attributed to wi-fi or to the building,
lots of people will experience the same problems if they'll try
to setup wi-fi at home, and it's easier to stay away from wi-wi
than from their own home...

Franco