[mythtv-users] TiVo remote on KnoppMyth

Rick Strobel rstrobel at infotime.com
Sat Dec 10 10:14:55 EST 2005

I've been trying really really hard to get a TiVo remote working with MythTV
- so hard in fact that Google has blocked my IP address because they think
I'm launching a DOS attack!

What I've done so far:

Installed R5A16 successfully
Played a test video that I downloaded
Used an ATI Remote Wonder that came with an old 9700 AIW card
Bought and hooked up a homebrew IR receiver to my serial port (from
http://www.irblaster.info/receiver.html)
Read countless threads on mysettopbox.tv and other sites looking for
information on this that would apply to me.
Renamed the TIVO file to lircd.conf in /etc/lirc
Ran lirc-reconfig.sh (not sure I answered the questions correctly)

What I don't understand:

Does LIRC run automatically on a standard install?
- if I type lircd from a prompt it appears to start, if I do it again I get
an error that it's already running

Do I have to recompile LIRC for the TiVo remote to work? I was hoping not,
but I think I read that somewhere along the way. I saw a page on the wiki
about doing this but it looks pretty daunting and hard to follow.

How can I tell if my serial port is working and do some basic tests of this
device?

A whole bunch of things... I'm a computer pro with 20 years experience but a
Linux n00b. I've got a pretty good understanding of Linux conceptually but
have never compiled any programs with it or done much more than some
superficial things.

I've probably spent 5 hours trying to figure this out on my own using the
mantra "Google is your friend", but am still coming up short. Thanks in
advance for any help!