[mythtv-users] Picture in Picture

Josh Burks dotnofoolin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 15:29:13 EST 2005

On 12/10/05, Joshua Lewis <jmlewis at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> I have found Nirvana and it is called MythTV.
>
> I am setting up a dedicated back and and will set up a front end as well.
>
> Front end will have no video capture. I just want video out audio out to
> hook to the tv. I would like to use my Picture in Picture feature. I am
> asuming I will need two video out/audio out cards?
>
> I don't want any vedio in. I only want out.
>
> Does anyone know what card should I be looking for? Do I need two video
> out cards and two seperate sound cards so I can watch my picture in
> Picture and switch back and
> forth between them? Or are there any cards that have video and audio on
> the same card.

You're going to need at least 2 single tuner cards (such as a
Hauppauge PVR-150), or at least 1 dual tuner card (Hauppauge PVR-500)
in your backend.

Your frontend only needs one video and audio interface to the
TV/Receiver. Myth handles the rest. The Nvidia line of video cards are
a good choice because of their linux support. There's lots of
possibilites with audio cards, most work with linux and alsa just
fine.

Josh