[mythtv-users] Picture in Picture

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 12 14:41:26 EST 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 13:59, Joshua Lewis wrote:
> David Whyte
> > On 12/11/05, Joshua Lewis <jmlewis at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Front end will have no video capture. I just want video out audio
> >> out to
> >> hook to the tv. I would like to use my Picture in Picture feature.
> >> I am
> >> asuming I will need two video out/audio out cards?
> >>

> > Not sure if you know this, but myth offers PiP when watching live tv
> > already, so long as you have two seperate tuner cards.
> >
> > Sweet eh?? :P
> >

> So I am thinking old school where a TV has two TV Tuners in the back
> and
> you are supposed to plug a line into each.
>
> You are saying you only have to plug in the one tuner and MythTV does
> the
> PiP from the one tuner?
>
> That is pretty sweet.

I think you're using "tuner" in multiple, confusing ways.

YES you need 2 or more tuner cards available to Myth in order to have
Myth do PIP.

NO, you do not need to connect Myth to your TV "twice".  Your TV does
not even need to have a PIP function; Myth composites the PIP picture
internally and sends a single image to the TV.

Now, if your TV supports PIP natively, you could tune the TV to a
station, and tune the PIP window to Myth... which, in turn, could be
showing a PIP display... so you'd get PIPIP :-)

-JAC