[mythtv-users] RE: STAY AWAY FROM WI-FI !!!

sarvinc at fastmail.fm sarvinc at fastmail.fm
Mon Dec 12 08:05:03 EST 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 17:49, Michael Bochynski wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 18:30 -0500, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Also, the Linksys sucked to configure. After support was of no help
> > ("What version of Windows are you running? You don't have a Windows
> > PC? Sorry, you can't configure it any other way."), I had to borrow a
> > Windows laptop to configure it.
>
> [...]
>
> You might want to look into VMWare. Instead of borrowing a laptop, you
> can just install Windows on VMWare. The only requirement is a couple of
> gig of free space. Depends what's easier for you.
>
> Michael

Hmmm, I'm having a hard time believing you had trouble with a Linksys router.
I've set up probably 20 ~ 30 home networks. On Linksys routers to access the
setup and configuration web page go to the address  192.168.1.1 in a web
browser. That seems pretty simple to me. Netgear's address is 192.168.0.1 and
so on and so forth. I have a wireless network here at home and a few Linux
boxes going. SCP usually runs around 1 MB, but we do have two 802.11b Windows
laptops that probably slow the network down more than anything else. I
suggest avoiding things that require Windows drivers to work and sticking
with something that has native support (i.e. Madwifi) instead.