[mythtv-users] Hardware confusion

Simon Lundell simon.lundell at his.se
Tue Dec 13 13:44:44 EST 2005

Hi all!

I'm currently in planning to build a second mythbox. I would like it to
recieve either DVB-T or DVB-C pay-TV. I called the support of the major
providers here (Sweden) i.e. Boxer (DVB-T), Viasat (DVB-S) and
CanalDigital (DVB-S). They knew little to nothing about recieving
channels other ways than through their boxes. Boxer seems to have an
CA-module approved for decoding their channels. I guess the other two
might work but they have not tested, for whatever reason.

The things I need som help with is which DVB card and motherboard to
chose. I think tha twinhan cards might be very good value for money, if
they work. Is it possible to use any of these:

Twinhan card with onboard card slot, for DVB-S
http://www.twinhan.com/product_satellite_5.asp
And, does it work for CanalDigital (conex i think) or Viasat (might have
been called something like netguard).

Or, is it possible to get the DVB-T version to run under linux/myth?
http://www.twinhan.com/product_terrestrial_4.asp (Boxer use viaaccess i
think)

Are there any recomendations on CPU and Motherboard. In my current box i
have an athlon 2GHz, which seems to be doing just fine. Is 64 bits the
way to go now? I guess the processor load is quite moderate, unless you
want to do some HDTV stuff?

Anyway, are there any recomendations on motherboards? Preferebly with
many PCI-slots, SATA, and integrated audio.

I think i will buy the silverstone LS17 (ATX) chassi, nice and quite cheap.

Best Wishes,
Simon