[mythtv-users] how many concurrent recordings possible? in HD?

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 14:24:13 EST 2005

On 12/9/05, mrwester <mrwester at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi-
> My mythtv system has 1xPVR-350, 1xPVR-500 using ivtv 0.4, and a newly added
> DViCO FusionHDTV 5 Lite using DVB drivers.   1x200GB seagate+1x300GB seagate
> HD LVM with XFS for /video and 1x40GB seagate for FC4 OS. I have DMA
> enabled. DVI out via fx5200 at 1280x768.  Chaintech nforce2 mobo, AMD2900
> with 1gb ram.  All 4 tuners can capture on their own with no problems.  I
> can capture with all 3 Hauppauge tuners at the same time no problems.
> Trying to capture HDTV while capturing with the Hauppuge cards results in
> normal analog recordings but the digital recording has dropouts and
> scrambled bars across it.  I need to double check if capturing digital NTSC
> with the DViCO card also has the dropouts when one or more PVR cards are in
> use.
>
> I'm new to the HDTV part of mythtv and looking for feedback to tell me if
> what I'm trying to do is realistic or not.   And if it is realistic, where
> should I look to troubleshoot.  Thanks for any insight.

You might also consider moving your playback to a 2nd machine. If you
remove playback from that existing machine, it should be able to keep
up fine with HD recording/etc.

In my experience the frontend process is very spikey (as are video
drivers), which can wreck havoc with dmas/irqs and getting stable
recordings.