[mythtv-users] Sound card issue

Peter Osterberg Peter at supergirl.se
Wed Dec 14 02:40:41 EST 2005

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Peter Osterberg wrote:
>
>> I've a on-board audiocard with both coax and optical out. I've never
>> got it to work very well.
>>
>> The card plays perfectly well using analog out, except from the audio
>> quality...
>>
>> The audio works fine for about 5-10 minutes when using digital out.
>> After 5-10 minutes the sound disapears for some seconds and comes
>> back again. This behavior continues until the computer is rebooted. I
>> started to think that this was driver related. I have a spare Windows
>> disk for this computer as well and I decided to try if it worked
>> better in Windows. I have the same problem in Windows so that
>> eliminates the driver theory.
>> Could this really be hardware related? It doesn't matter if I use
>> coax or optical in either operating system.
>> I think that it is a bit odd to think that it should be hardware
>> related since it always works for about 5-10 minutes an then won't
>> work again until rebooted. The reboot part somewhat directs me to
>> hardware but why 5-10 minutes. It would last for seconds if it were
>> some kind of buffer problem.
>

> My guess would be bad cable (does this happen with optical out only or
> are you saying you have both coaxial digital audio and optical out?)
> or your receiver just doesn't like the signal that the card is
> outputting.
I have both optical and coax connected to different input sources on the
amp. I tend to not think that it is the amp since it works for 5-10
minutes after a reboot of the computer. I also don't think the cables
are to be blamed since I have tried both optical and coax with the same
result, it works for some minutes...