[mythtv-users] remotes (yet AGAIN)

sarvinc at fastmail.fm sarvinc at fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 16 09:53:00 EST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet.net>
Date: Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 10:25 pm
Subject: [mythtv-users] remotes (yet AGAIN)

Howdy folks,

I've now used two remotes:

1.) Hauppauge Silver "new style" remote that came with my PVR 350
2.) $30 X-Box Remote, attached to Lik-Sang Joybox 11 USB adaptor

I love the buttons on the Hauppauge remote, but it's very
unresponsive. Buttons have to be held down usually. Sometimes
for 5 seconds or more. The receiver has to be at a certain
angle to the remote, and that angle seems to change during the
course of playback. *Very* poor range. Etc... my wife is
highly annoyed, and I am too.

I *love* the responsiveness of the X-Box remote. I can point it
90 or 180 degrees away from the receiver and the IR light bouncing
off my white walls somehow manages to make it's way back to the
receiver and register the key press. It's amazing. But I hate
the feel, and hate the lack of buttons. I need about 6 more to be
happy. I have to really press hard to get the Back button to register too. Annoying.

I've tried `cat`ing the lircd port to see if the xbox receiver might work with the Hauppauge remote, but it doesn't look like it will.
I've read that the X-Box receiver uses an odd mhz, and is locked into it's own remote.

I've noticed at least one person write that he loves the Hauppauge
remote. Am I doing something wrong? Or does he sit 3-4 feet from
the receiver? Because in my experience more than 5 feet is way too
far. Or is this a driver problem? Or a config problem? I noticed
during lirc training that lirc couldn't detect a keystroke repeat
code, but that was the only problem I've ever noticed.

I'd like to get my Hauppauge remote working nicely. But if that
is impossible is there a third party remote with more buttons that
I can use with my X-Box receiver? And finally, if all else fails,
should I just take back the X-Box remote and spring for an MCE remote?

I'm running Gentoo with a 2.6.13 kernel and ivtv 0.4.0. I used to
be running lirc 0.7.2 with the Hauppauge remote, but now I'm running
0.7.0 with my X-Box remote as there doesn't seem to be a patch for
0.7.2.

What's the consensus?

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin
jesse at wingnet.net
Do you get weird dmesg output when the 350 remote doesn't work? I had a problem just like yours. I think it was an issue with not doing "make clean" before compiling a new kernel.