[mythtv-users] remotes (yet AGAIN) (FIXED!)

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Sun Dec 18 11:22:06 EST 2005

On Friday 16 December 2005 10:12 am, Jesse Guardiani wrote:

> >> I use rechargable NiMH. I just charged them a few days ago. No luck.
> >>

> > I don't have a Hauppauge remote, but I have tried running other
> > remotes on rechargeable batteries, and a lot of them just won't, I
> > guess due to the lower voltage that the rechargeables push out ...
> > Stick a fresh set of Alkalines in the remote and try it again, you
> > never know...
>
> I didn't realize the voltages were different (I use my NiMH
> batteries in everything, and I've never had a problem before),
> but this page seems to confirm that:
>
> http://www.greenbatteries.com/nibafa.html
>
> I'll buy a set of alkalines tonight and give it a try. Can't hurt.

Nah, alkalines didn't help. But I figured out the problem:

My IR receiver was mounted right below my TV screen. Apparently
this caused some sort of interference. Sometimes certain parts of
a show would make the remote unresponsive. I'm guessing the light
from the TV saturated/confused the receiver. When I moved the IR
receiver a few feet away from the TV under the cabinet, it started
working fine.

It's still not quite as sensitive as the X-Box remote (you have
to point the remote at the receiver), but it's good enough.

Thanks!

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin