[mythtv-users] Autoloading subtitles with xine?

Simon Lundell simon.lundell at his.se
Sun Dec 18 15:13:53 EST 2005

Paul Barker wrote:

> Simon Lundell wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Mplayer is able to load subtitle files automatically, it loads
>> subtitles with the same filename (without extension) as the movie
>> file. Is it possible to make Xine do the same?
>>
>> //Simon

> I have this scripted and put a custom player command in for movies
> with subs. Script is something like this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> FILE=$1
> SUB=`echo $FILE | awk -F. '{print $1}'`
>
> /usr/bin/xine $FILE#subtitle:$SUB.sub
>
> My subtitle files all have a .sub extention, are in the same directory
> as the movie file and have the same filename before the extentsion.
> For example the sub file for GhostInTheShell.avi is
> GhostInTheShell.sub. I set up a filter in the Video manager to make
> Myth ignore files called *.sub so the don't get listed in the movie
> lists.
>
> Paul

Thanks!

I do have subtitles with different extensions (such as .srt etc). I
modified your script to search for these too, and pass the first
subtitle file found to xine. Works like a charm!
//Simon

#!/bin/bash
FILE=$1
SUB=`echo $FILE | awk -F. '{print $1}'`
SUBT=`find . -maxdepth 1 -type f -and \( -name $SUB.sub -or -name
$SUB.srt \) | head -n 1`
/usr/bin/xine  -pfhq --no-logo --no-splash -V xv $FILE#subtitle:$SUBT