[mythtv-users] Reduce size of DVB-T recordings

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Mon Dec 19 02:56:05 EST 2005

Phill Edwards wrote:

>I want to burn some of my DVB-T recordings to DVD (like the other
>poster today) but my question is different. This weekend I recorded a
>film which is > 9.5GB. I want to take that file (which, being DVB, is
>MPEG2) and reduce it to a MPEG2 file of around 4GB so I can make a
>4.7GB DVD out of it after cutting out the ads etc in ProjectX.
>
>Does anyone know a tool that's good for just reducing the filesize? I
>don't need it to do anything else.
>
>Regards,
>Phill

How long is it?  Judging by the file size, I'd guess 3-4 hours?

A normal movie at 6000 kbps and typical audio, will fit on a 4GB DVD, so
I'd take a punt and use ffmpeg (or mencoder) to convert it to 3000 kbps
and see how you go. If it compresses well, it might fit. Maybe juggle
the quality settings too, until you get it to where it fits and is
sufficient quality.