[mythtv-users] Adventures in HDTV - Notes from the trenches

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Dec 19 03:36:03 EST 2005

On Sunday 18 December 2005 22:03, Matt Mossholder wrote:
> > 1080i should be fine, I can't imagine any noticable flicker in a proper
> > set up on a good 1080i tv. Hell, even my cheap Sanyo displays 1080i with
> > no noticable flicker.
> > If your TV is not actually a native 1080i tv though, then there might be
> > some issue with 1080i input.
>
>     I'm not seeing flicker in video content, but definitely see it in
> the GUI.

I've got both a 1080i set and a 1080p set. 1080i is utterly unusable as a
display mode for the GUI, unless you like headaches. For my 1080i set, I use
a 540p mode for the GUI and SDTV, then xrandr to 1080i for HDTV content. The
1080p set stays at 1080p all the time (and is greatly preferred for viewing,
despite being 10" smaller :).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com